That's the Spirit!

I took the 3 younger boys to visit their cousins in IL last week. Adding my three boys to my sister's seven made for a fun and crazy and chaotic week, and we had a great time. I'll blog a separate post about it.

We flew Spirit Airlines, and having never flown with this airline before, I wasn't sure what to expect, but my mom, a seasoned traveler and Spirit Airlines member, gave me the low down on how to avoid those unexpected hidden fees because there is a reason why their flights are so cheap, you know. So we packed really light, I paid for the two carry-ons beforehand, and we ate before boarding the plane. Since it was the first time for Joey and Jeffrey to fly, and not wanting to risk us winding up all scattered on the plane, I did concede to purchasing four seats together that included two window seats so they could enjoy the views.  So, we had great flights that were uneventful and pleasant and safely arrived at our destinations without incident.

If we let them, the boys would have played Minecraft (the latest apparently addicting game they can't live without) on their iPods during their entire vacation, but we kept them busy with lots of other activities. Again, that's another post to come. But they played Minecraft while traveling, of course and it kept them occupied. But you know how all electronics have to be shut down during take off and landing on the plane, and the boys did comply with this rule. But remember, we traveled really light with minimal bags, so having no bags to stow their iPods, Chris and Joey apparently put them in the pockets of the seats in front of them. And then they forgot them and we deplaned and headed home, and the iPods went on to Atlantic City, NJ. Of course, the boys didn't realize they had forgotten their devices until we were driving home. For sure, those iPods were long gone.

I did check Spirit's website and the answer to my question clearly states:
We're very sorry. If you lost an item please submit a report in person at the airport during its hours of operation. We'll search for your missing item and contact you if we find it. There was no way I was trekking into Boston in person to try and find two iPods that were likely now in the hands of some unsuspecting travelers who happened upon them by chance and who were thinking their luck had started early en route to Atlantic City.

I had arrived home from work the next day to Chris' inquiries as to when he could get another iPod, as if I was going to run out and replace the lost one without a second thought. Ha! It wasn't until this time, by the way, that I even learned that Joey had left his iPod on the plane as well. So as you can imagine, I was pretty angry at them - and myself - for not having checked to ensure we had everything when deplaning.  I was walking out the door to take Chris to soccer practice when the phone rang. The caller ID showed "Pleasantville, NJ", but I answered, because just maybe, it wasn't a sales call. And it wasn't. It was Josanna from Spirit Airlines asking if I had lost anything. They had found Chris' iPod and according to Josanna, a coworker in Myrtle Beach had commented on the coincidence that another iPod had been found in the very same row of that plane. Umm, yeah. That would be Joey's iPod. 

I was told I had to open an account with Fed-Ex and call Josanna back with the number so she could ship the iPod back. As for Joey's, well she had sent an email to Myrtle Beach with my contact information and hopefully somebody would contact me. Still, I contacted Myrtle Beach myself and when I finally spoke to a Spirit employee there, I was told they didn't have an iPod and they had already emailed Josanna back with that information. But they will keep an eye out and contact me if it turned up. People leave iPods and phones all the time and perhaps the one that was found in the very same row as Chris' was found was somebody else's. Hunh. Yes, just maybe. 

At 8 AM this morning, the doorbell rang. Chris' iPod had been expeditiously shipped back to us. We are hopeful Joey's will turn up eventually, but even if it doesn't, I think one out of 2 isn't bad. Thank you, Spirit Airlines for tracking us down!
 


No comments:

Post a Comment