Happy Halloween! Not really.

So much for fall. It's my favorite time of year, unless you get a random storm dumping a foot of snow 2 days before Halloween. Oh yeah, hello October 29, 2011 freak snowstorm. I had the night planned out, but it all fell apart. The great band we were going to see canceled, and I could have gone to a Halloween party, but it was way on the other side of town and I figured I'd be better off just going straight home from 99s Restaurant when the power went out and I was signing the manual credit card slip by candlelight.

I got home and was pulling into the garage just as the tree next to the northern corner of the front of the house split and came crashing down, blocking the front entrance. We never cared for that tree, and it was growing too close to the house anyway.

The sun shined brightly on Sunday, as it always does after a storm, and we proceeded to dig our way out. We had to, after all, because Chris' soccer game was absolutely still on. That's one of the benefits of playing on a turf field that can be easily cleared of snow faster than you can say "Goal". Besides, there wasn't much else to do with no power, so why not?

And just like the famous Ice Storm, the boys got excited and creative and kept themselves entertained. But when you don't have electricity, and you know where the road is going to take you, that gets old really fast. Even if school gets canceled on Halloween and you don't get to have a parade and classroom parties. And it may be exciting to be getting even another day off from school, like the boys are tomorrow (just keep adding those days to June), but really and truly, it is not fun. At all. And cabin fever can have tempers flaring in no time.

Still, I went to Wal-Mart today and paid $9.88 for a game of Monopoly the boys requested. We all know a game of Monopoly can last for hours and boy do we have plenty of those ahead of us as long as we are without power and school keeps getting canceled.

As for trick-or-treating? That has been postponed until next Sunday, November 5. But I don't know, it just doesn't seem right. I'm still putting away the halloween decor tomorrow. If the cabin fever hasn't really put me over the edge by then. For me, when November 1 arrives, I start thinking about Thanksgiving and Christmas. I start thinking about Christmas wish lists and gifts and that's easy enough when I am seeing white every time I look out the window. I'll bet you if we hadn't gotten this October snowstorm, I wouldn't be wishing for a generator for Christmas, either.

But for now, I'm going to keep my wish list to the present and keep hoping for electricity to be restored and school to resume.
Happy Halloween. Some treat this has turned out to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment