Use your blinker

A few weeks ago, I was returning home from the grocery store with the 3 younger boys. If you know our town, you know the back way route that enables you to avoid traffic lights on busy route 102. I was on this back road, known as Commons Way, when the SUV in front of me suddenly pulled over and turned on his right directional. So, as you would have guessed, after stopping I proceeded to go around him. There was an entrance to a small parking lot just ahead of him, and it wasn't until I was attempting to pass him that I realized why he suddenly pulled over. There was a police cruiser attempting to back up. You know how drivers panic at the sight of a cop and go out of their way to be extra friendly. That's exactly what this driver had done.

So I stopped and I waited. But the officer was obviously waiting for me -- or us -- to proceed, and now that I was in a compromising position and inhibiting opposite traffic (of which there was none, but nonetheless...), I moved on. This road continues behind an adjacent strip mall and I continued on until I got to the Stop sign at Gilcreast Road, where I stopped and then turned right towards home.

Suddenly, the cruiser appeared behind me and flashed his blues. I knew he was pulling me over because he thought I was being reckless back where he was backing up when I attempted to go around the SUV and was ready to argue my case to him: I couldn't see around the SUV that had pulled over and turned on his directional.

Let's call him Officer Blink. So Officer Blink approached my van and replied to my pleasant, "Hello," with a gruff "License and registration." I already had them ready and I handed them over.

"The reason I pulled you over, ma'am, is number one, you passed that vehicle back there on the left, which is illegal. Number two, you didn't use your turn signal turning just now."

I didn't use my turn signal? As in, my right turn signal from a private way onto Gilcreast? Before I could reply, he returned to his cruiser while I pulled up the scanner app on my iPhone so I could listen. Unfortunately, by the time it queued up, I missed his call into the station. But he didn't return quickly, and I realized he had to be writing up a ticket.

Sure enough, he returned, citation in hand. "Ma'am, I'm issuing you a citation today for the traffic violation."

"So you are giving me a ticket because I couldn't see back there behind the SUV. I clearly stopped when I realized why he was pulled over and waited for you to go and since you didn't, I proceeded."

"Ma'am, let me finish," he said, obviously annoyed from standing out in the rain. "I'm not giving you a citation for that violation. I'm giving it to you for not using your right turn directional."

I couldn't believe what I was hearing. I said nothing, knowing I'd incriminate myself if I did because I was so angry. He returned to his cruiser and knowing he was waiting for me to leave before leaving himself, I stayed put, pretending to text. Eventually, he got out of the cruiser and again approached my van. I rolled down my window and looked at him expectantly. "And why are we still here?" he asked.

"Well, I was texting and I don't text when I'm driving. It's too dangerous," I replied.

"Well, I'm sticking out in the road so you can't stay here," he retorted.

"Fine," I said as I rolled up the window. I put on my directional, pulled out into the road, and immediately pulled over so I was now off the shoulder, clear of traffic. He pulled out and turned left into the office park across the street.

According to the citation, "Other" was checked off, next to which he had written, "Failure to use required turn signal." Contrary to RSA 265:45, this penalizes the offender of a fine of $44.64.

Now, I suppose I could get over the fact that he was clearly being a jerk, pay the fine, and move on. But you see, here's the problem: I don't want this on my record. The last time I got a citation was over 13 years ago and I would like to think I am a careful and safe driver. Also, I almost always use my directional, and never fail to use it when I'm turning left or when there is a vehicle immediately behind me. But there was nobody immediately behind me, nor was there oncoming traffic on Gilcreast heading in the same direction I was, hence the lack of directional.

And it's just $44.64. But it is the principle that kept bothering me. So, last week, I parked across the street for an hour and surveyed the traffic that exited from Commons Drive onto Gilcreast. Of the vehicles 97 vehicles that turned right, only 32 used their directionals. For thorough measure, I also recorded the 35 vehicles that turned left. In this case, 10 didn't use their directionals. Clearly, drivers are more conscientious about using their directionals when turning left than when they turn right. But that's neither here nor there, and my observation may not guarantee me immunity from having to pay the fine. I needed more proof.

I was listening to the scanner a week later when I heard that an officer was at the supermarket, so I headed down, hopeful to catch him in the act of "forgetting" to use his directional at some point. It was my lucky day. He "forgot" to use it three times, and one of them was at the exact location where I was cited, and another was when he was turning after a Stop sign!

See?

The first is just after the location where he was backing up out of the parking lot.
The second shows him turning right from Commons Drive onto Gilcreast, which is where I was cited.
The third shows him turning left.
In all three, he doesn't use his directional.


I'm really hopeful that the judge will rule in my favor.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous3:06 AM

    So, let me get this straight...

    1. you turned right and failed to signal.

    2. you got a ticket.

    3. you broke a traffic law but don't want to accept responsibility. the law doesn't say you only have to use your signal if someone is behind you.

    4. you won't text while driving, but you will use the CAMERA on your phone to take pictures of others while you are driving.

    5. you want a Judge to dismiss a ticket for something YOU DID.

    How about setting an example for your kids, and accept responsibility for your actions. Pay the ticket and use your signal every time from now on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, whoever you are - 1. Yes, I may have broken a law, but I hardly think a citation for not using my right turn directional was warranted, especially since I haven't gotten a ticket in nearly 14 years. A warning would have certainly sufficed in this situation.

    2. I was actually parked when I recorded the first video and happened to be heading home, which was the same direction the cruiser was going, and so I took the opportunity to record the second two violations he made, one of which was at the exact location where I was cited. If I can drive and adjust the AC or change the radio station, I think I can handle pressing a button on my phone. Comparing that to texting is like comparing apples and oranges.

    ReplyDelete